5/19/2012

Spanish Omelette and Drawings

Today was an unproductive day for me. 
Woke up at almost 9, which is quiet late in my dictionary since I usually wake up at 6 or 7. I didn't know why, but I think the weather is the main reason why.

I sat in front of my laptop almost the entire day, tried my best to come up with some words to put into my strategic marketing group-assignment, but nothing great came up. To be honest, I don't even know what I'm talking about in the report. 
Apart from that, I still have a prototype website to make. gaahh.
So to put it simply, it's 2 weeks prior to my exam period (which I have 4 subjects to tackle), but I still have 2 group assignments due in those two weeks and I haven't even started preparing myself for the actual exams. I am so screwed. 

So what do I do when I get all stressed out ?
I eat.

And what do I do when I get stressed out at home?
I cook.

I think of this as a 'defence mechanism' within me that always urges me to think about food whenever I'm stressed, or bored or slightly sad. Even though my kitchen is far from perfect nor clean (well, I share one kitchen with 5 other college students. What do you expect, ey?), I think of it as a sanctuary. 
At least I can get my mind off of those things for a good 30 minutes.

Today I didn't cook anything special. 
Since I haven't done my weekly shopping, I'm running out of ingredients. 
Good thing I still have a few staples in my pantry that I can make something out of..

For breakfast, I had Raspberry Oatmeal Swirl since I still have remaining raspberry mixture stacked in my fridge and I also want to finish my greek yogurt a.s.a.p..

Raspberry Oatmeal Swirls

For lunch, I made a filling, thick Spanish Omelette
It was an easy dish to pull off.
 It's just your typical omelette but with slices of potato and onions in it. 
I like to slice it as if I were slicing a pizza. Haha. nerd.
Didn't have any greens to go with it, so I just ate it with some tomato sauce 
(broke college student alert!)

BANANAAA ~~~ POTATONNNAAAAAA~~`
*I just gotta do it. 
Brown Onions
(pizza looking) Spanish Omelette !
Not a really good presentation though. haha

Lastly, I made pasta aglio e olio for dinner.
(which I totally forgot to take a picture of , dang)
I used my last drops of olive oil and garlic clove for this dish, so I better put them on my grocery list.
I've made this a lot of time, but I'm still not sure how to do it the right way. 
The recipes on the internet are different from one another,

some say use chopped / minced garlic, some say use sliced garlic..
some use a bit of cheese at the end, some say don't,
some say toss the pasta onto the pan with the garlic oil, some say just drizzle the oil onto the pasta,

I don't know. It's confusing.
It's sort of like a battle of authenticity.
I'm cool with any method, as long as it tastes good.
One thing that I always do for my aglio e olio: 
I put the garlic and chilli flakes with olive oil onto a cold pan, and then put them on low-medium heat and slooooowwly toast the garlic.
I used to heat the oil first and then put the garlic and chilli flakes afterwards,
 resulting in oil and garlic splatter extravaganza and I left with burnt - bitter garlic. 
uh oh. I've learnt the hard way.
anyone have their own method of making aglio e olio?


Oh, as you can see form the pictures above, I'm starting to draw food again!
I used to draw them on my scheduler a while ago but the creative process went away for a couple of months so yeah..
But since I cook a lot these days, I might as well just document my food through drawings too :)
Oh, what is that yellowish tint on the right side of the paper ?!

No comments:

Post a Comment